In my photo binge post about my Beaufort visit I shared the dinner I made for my parents. To be honest, I mostly made up the recipes and it turned out delicious! They were pretty surprised too. I made rosemary chicken with roasted parmesan squash and zucchini then a baked fruit dish as a little dessert. I thought today I would share the squash and zucchini recipe with you all!
I originally found this recipe on Martha Stewart’s website (through a google search) and used it as a guideline. I didn’t have the same amount of squash and zucchini in the recipe so I just made up the ingredient portions. I also didn’t have crushed red pepper so I just went without. I still tasted fantastic.
Roasted Squash and Zucchini With Parmesan
- Olive oil
- Lemon zest
- Sea salt
- Crushed red peppers (optional)
- Slice your zucchini and squash into whatever size and shape you'd like.
- Place the slices in a bowl and add olive oil, salt and pepper. I used just enough olive oil to coat all the slices and just sprinkled salt and pepper to my liking.
- Once coated add desired amount of parmesan to bowl and mix well. I love cheese so I added probably more than a recipe would recommend.
- Lay the squash and zucchini on a baking sheet that's been fitted with a rack. Be sure the rack is sprayed with nonstick cooking spray.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 425 and roast for 12 minutes.
- Rotate rack halfway through cooking.
- Once done transfer squash and zucchini to a serving dish or directly to plates.
- Sprinkle with a little bit of olive oil, lemon zest, lemon juice, sea salt, crushed red pepper flakes, and pepper.
- Serve immediately.
How do you deal with not having all the ingredients for a recipe? Do you just make it up or try and adjust accordingly?